When it comes to finding the perfect wedding invitations and stationery, many brides-to-be find it a daunting task. There are many important choices to make, after all…this is the guests’ first insight into the wedding. All brides want to make a great first impression, and beautiful invitations are the perfect way to do so.
The first choice you must make is whether you want unique invitations or you want to choose from a book or template with a design that has already been used, and will be used again, countless times. The answer, I think, is pretty obvious. Custom invitations can be specifically designed to reflect your style and theme, and these invites will be designed just for you. No one else will have the same invitations – they will be as unique as you are. So once you choose to go custom over generic, how do you make sure you get the perfect invitations? Below you will find 5 simple steps that can help you to ensure that you get nothing but the best when it comes to your wedding invitations and wedding day stationery.
1. Research – Spend some time doing your homework on custom wedding invite designers in your area. Feel free to ask your friends and family for recommendations, or simply do an internet search. When you do find a few in your area take the time to look at their samples, review their process, and read the reviews of past customers. Meet with the designer in person and make sure you and the designer actually click. Does the designer understand what you need and want? Is the designer easy to work with? Of course you want the designer to have the skills and talent but you also want to make sure that you mesh well. Take your time when choosing a designer and go with your gut on this one. Set realistic time lines with your designer.
2. Choose the right style – Are you a ‘traditional’ bride? Or are you a more ‘modern/contemporary’ bride with trendy ideas? Maybe you don’t actually KNOW which type you are? Your invitation designer should be able to show you a variety of previous samples, in various styles, that can help put you on the right path. Traditional invitations are usually done in beautiful scripts, centered layout, and possibly a simple motif or monogram on top. If you prefer invitations with clean lines, creative colors, possibly all lowercase text and more on the artistic side – you may like more of the modern style invitations. Spend some time going over the different samples and see what fits for you and your wedding. This is your special day, make it all you want it be. This is the beauty of going with custom designed invitations – the sky really is the limit.
3. Choosing from custom options – When you have your initial consultation, you will be presented with many unique options. First you will choose what TYPE of invitation you would like (i.e. flat card, pocket fold, a ‘Couture’ silk box invitation, etc.). Next, you will be able to choose the types and colors of paper you would like for the invitations. Then you can choose from custom embellishments (i.e. ribbon, rhinestones, etc.). And finally, the ideas for fonts and design are discussed. After all these steps are completed, you end up with a beautiful, one-of-a-kind invitation – unique to only you!
4. Budget – Plan your budget ahead of time. Set a realistic budget, and discuss it with your designer on first meeting. Be upfront with your designer and expect the same from them.
5. Consider additional wedding day stationery – When choosing your wedding invites try and think about the big picture of all your wedding day stationery needs. Do you want all your wedding day stationery to be of the same style as your invitations? Wedding day stationery includes menus, programs, escort cards, table numbers, favors, etc. Also, think about thank you cards that are also cohesive with your whole stationery look. Talk with your designer and let them know the plans of the big picture and consider designing wedding day stationery on that initial consultations as well. You can always place the order for the wedding day stationery closer to the wedding, but at least you will have an idea of style and budget all at once.
Having your wedding day invites done by a custom designer should be a fun and exciting experience. Of course, there may be moments when it is stressful but if you have a designer that understands those wedding day stresses, you will be able to rest assured that your wedding day invites will be perfect. Be unique, be creative and choose to go custom for all your wedding day invitation and stationery.