If you’re engaged or married, did your engagement exceed your expectations? If you’ve never been engaged, do you often dream about a scenario inspired by a classic Hollywood rom-com? The following five movie proposal scenes are some of our all-time favorites. They are classically romantic, perpetually relevant, and totally swoon worthy.
1. Jamie and Aurélia. Love Actually. The courtship between the awkwardly endearing Jamie (Colin Firth) and the demurely sweet Aurélia (Lúcia Moniz) is one of our favorite storylines in this holiday classic. As part of the movie’s climactic, romantic montage, we see Jamie proposing to Aurélia, in front of half her Portuguese town, including her family, in words of delightfully sincere yet hilariously inaccurate Portuguese. The heart-stopping moment comes when it is revealed that Aurélia has been learning English in return, and responds to Jamie’s proposal by saying, “Thank you. That would be nice. Yes is being my answer. Easy question.” *sigh*
2. Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. Pride and Prejudice. Okay, technically, credit should be given to the estimable Jane Austen for the classic lines in the Elizabeth-Darcy proposal scene, but it must also be acknowledged that Kiera Knightly and Matthew Macfayden portray the classic couple with incomparable grace. Just the way we’re sure Ms. Austen would have wanted. Our tears start to fall when Darcy utters those most revered of love revelations, “You have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on.” Who wouldn’t want to be so adored?
3. Danielle and Price Henry. Ever After. We love this attempt at a realistic portrayal of the classic fairy tale—especially the part where Danielle (Drew Barrymore) surprises Prince Henry (Dougray Scott) by rescuing herself from the bad guy. Pulling on our heartstrings and allowing us to reminisce about our childhood, Prince Henry places the glass slipper on Danielle’s foot after telling her, “Perhaps you would be so kind as to help me find the owner of this remarkable shoe…She is my match in every way. Please tell me I haven’t lost her.” Dreams really do come true.
4. Lucy and Jack. While You Were Sleeping. After revealing that she was never truly engaged to his previously comatose brother (long story), Lucy (Sandra Bullock) fears she has lost Jack (Bill Pullman), and the love of his family, forever. Having returned to the doldrum of her life, she sits accepting tokens at the train station where her life was recently flipped upside down (part of the long story), when an engagement ring plinks into her token dish. Looking up, she sees Jack (and his entire family, sans the previously affianced and no longer comatose brother). When Jack slips into the tollbooth, he leans toward Lucy affectionately, simply asking, “Marry me?” To which she says, “Yeah.” The two exchange “I love yous,” the family celebrates, and everyone receives the happy ending they deserve (including us as viewers).
5. Robbie and Julia. The Wedding Singer. Yes, our girl, Drew Barrymore (Julia) has earned two spots on our top list. While traveling by plane with her completely heinous fiancé Glen, Julia is unexpectedly serenaded over the plane’s public address system by her true love, Robbie (Adam Sandler) who tells her in no uncertain terms, “I want to grow old with you.” We just can’t even.
How do your favorite movie proposal scenes compare to our list? Do you agree? Did we miss any? Tell us in the comments below.